Sec. 10. SALES REGULATED. No person shall sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer a pistol or revolver to a person who he has reasonable cause to believe either is an unnaturalized foreign born person or has been convicted of a felony against the person or property of another, or against the Government of the United States or any State or subdivision thereof, nor in any event shall he deliver a pistol or revolver on the day of the application for the purchase thereof, and when delivered, said pistol or revolver shall be securely wrapped and shall be unloaded. Before a delivery be made the purchaser shall sign in triplicate and deliver to the seller a statement containing his full name, address, occupation, and nationality, the date of sale, the caliber, make, model, and manufacturer’s number of the weapon. The seller shall, within seven days, sign and forward by registered mail one copy thereof to the Secretary of State, and one copy thereof to the chief of police of the city or town, or the sheriff of the county of which the seller is a resident, and shall retain the other copy for six years. This section shall not apply to sales at wholesale. Where neither party to the transaction holds a dealer’s license, no person shall sell or otherwise transfer a pistol or revolver to any person not personally known to him. Violations of this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than $100 or imprisonment for not less than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment.
Sec. 11. DEALERS TO BE LICENSED. Whoever, without being licensed as hereinafter provided, sells, or otherwise transfers, advertises, or exposes for sale, or transfers or has in his possession with intent to sell, or otherwise transfer, pistols or revolvers, shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two years.
Sec. 12. DEALERS’ LICENSES: By WHOM GRANTED, AND CONDmoNs THEREOF.) The duly constituted licensing authorities of any city, town or subdivision of this state, may grant licenses in form prescribed by the Secretary of State, effective for not more than one year from date of issue, permitting the licensee to sell at retail within the said city or town or political subdivision, pistols and revolvers, subject to the following conditions, for breach of any of which the license shall be subject to forfeiture:
- The business shall be carried on only in the building designated in the license.
- The license or a copy thereof, certified by the issuing authority, shall be displayed on the premises where it can easily be read.
- No pistol or revolver shall be delivered-
(a) On the day of the application for the purchase, and when delivered shall be unloaded and securely wrapped; nor
(b) Unless the purchaser either is personally known to the seller or shall present clear evidence of his identity; nor
(c) If the seller has reasonable cause to believe that the purchaser either is an unnaturalized foreign born person or has been convicted of a felony against the person or property of another, or against the Government of the United States or any State or subdivision thereof.
- A true record, in triplicate, shall be made of every pistol or revolver sold, said record to be made in a book kept for the purpose, the form of which may be prescribed by the Secretary of State, and shall be personally signed by the purchaser and by the person affecting the sale, each in the presence of the other, and shall include the date of sale, the caliber, make, model, and manufacturer’s number of the weapon, the name, address, occupation, and nationality of the purchaser. One copy of said record shall, within seven days, be forwarded by registered mail to the Secretary of State and one copy thereof to the chief of police of the city or town or the sheriff of the county of which the seller is a resident, and the other copy retained for six years.
- No pistol or revolver, or imitation thereof, or placard advertising the sale or other transfer thereof, shall be displayed in any part of said premises where it can readily be seen from the outside.
Full Text: HeinOnline (subscription required)