1883 Cal. Stat. 156, § 153.

The Municipal Council shall provide by ordinance, for the payment into a “Fireman’s Charitable Fund” of such city, or city and county, of all moneys received for licenses for the storage, manufacture, or sale of gunpowder, blasting powder, gun cotton, fireworks, nitro-glycerine, dualine, or any explosive oils or compounds, or as a municipal tax upon the same; also all fines collected in the police court for violations of fire ordinances.